Pages

Monday, August 20, 2007

A True Fashionista!!!

Mary Lafayette is no stranger to the fashion industry. She has been styling and creating the latest fashion trends for some of the most well-known artists and fashion magazines in the world. Do you remember the infamous Vibe cover with Mary J. Blige in which she stated that she was not happy with the image? Well, although Mary was not pleased with the cover picture, she was pleased with the styling of Mary Lafayette. Mary’s other clients have included Busta Rhymes, Prodigy, Xzibit, Ginuwine, En Vogue, Usher, Nas, Chris Tucker and Kimora Lee Simmons. Her work has been featured in such magazines as Vibe, WWD, Essence, Ebony, and Teen People just to name a few.

As a trend-setter, Mary has embodied the meaning of fashionista and does not take her business lightly as this New York City lady always in travel, forever seeking knowledge of growing trends in order to create them and enhance them. In 2001, Mary founded her fashion consultant, styling and design company Fashion Luv Joenz in order to provide assistance to those looking to create an image that would enhance their personal and business image. The name is from the deep love jones she has for fashion, but the spelling is a tribute to her late grandfather, Joe Davis. In May 2001, she landed her first styling assistant gig and from that day she knew that she wanted to be a full-time stylist and decided to start her own business.
As of recently, she has just signed with the Victoria Agency for representation adding to the many major moves that Mary has set for herself this year. “I am very excited about joining the Victoria Agency, and look forward to successful representation," she said. With the representation of this agency she will possibly add to her already famous list of clientele and her schedule will become more hectic than ever before.

We recently had the opportunity to speak with our friend Mary Lafayette about her decision to become a fashionista and she has become such a fashion success.



What made you choose to be a fashionista?
I shared with a former co-worker, while working in Marketing and Events for Vanguarde Media, Inc. in 2001 that I was interested in Fashion Styling, and she introduced me to a stylist.



How long have you been in fashion?
As a professional, 6 years, but on a personal level I have been styling and into fashion since I was born. If you see pictures of me as a baby and into my youth, my mother always dressed me well from head to toe. She made sure I was always on point!



How did you know that you have this talent?
I guess because my mother made sure I was always in the latest fashions or at least looking fashionable. I’ve always been into fashion, and my friends would always want me to go shopping with them to help them pick out an outfit for a school dance, a date, prom, the club, etc. I never knew that I could make a career out of shopping for and dressing people.



How important is fashion to you?
Very! I read magazines, I’m always online researching the latest fashions, and I write articles periodically for magazines, online publications or organizations who want to offer ideas to their customers on the latest fashion trends. I love to people watch and see what others are rocking on the street. I must say that Brooklyn has the best fashion dons and divas in terms of creating original fashion ideas.



Where did you get your inspiration for your styles?
From designers, fashion ads and shows, street fashion, vintage films and photos.



How do you define success?
Being mentally, physically, spiritually and emotionally healthy. Achieving this is always a work in progress, but with prayer and positive people in your circle, you will always be successful in anything you pursue.



What advice would you give to aspiring stylists?
Get exposure by going out to fashion events and let people know that you are interested in pursuing fashion styling as a career. If you have time to go to school, it’s not a bad idea so that you gain the technical experience that will enhance your skills and make you more marketable, because the competition is serious.



What is your goal for 2007?
Continued success! Staying focused and in prayer!

To learn more about Mary Lafayette and her company, visit: http://www.fashionluvjoenz.com/ and www.myspace.com/fashionluvjoenz



Heather Elitou-Reviewer

No comments: