Pages

Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Book Review- Sistah For Sale

Author: Miasha
Pub. Date: March 4, 2008
ISBN-10: 1416553371

Miasha is back with yet another gripping and controversial tale with her trademark twist of money, power, and respect.

Sienna at a very young age is traumatized when she witnesses the murder of her father, and her mother is taken away and sent to the Dominican Republic. With no parents, she is raised by her father’s business friend, Chatman who not only gives her the best in life but he also prepares her to manage her own well being in the sex slave trade making her a Sistah for Sale.

Sienna is not alone in the business of sex because her best and closest friend Ryan is on the come up as well, possibly, the man to inherit Chatman’s herd.

Sienna and Ryan became very close...too close. Sienna and Ryan begin to fall in love and being in love with Chatman’s men could mean destruction to Sienna.

When a secret is revealed that turns her admiration for Chatman into disdain, all hell breaks loose and Sienna is looking at having to start at square one.

Will she lose Ryan forever? Will she ever break free of Chatman’s hold? One will never know until they read the book.

What is interesting about Sistah for Sale is that the author has stepped out of the ghetto and into a world that most people are not familiar with. The sex hade is a very big business inside the U.S. and is growing rapidly. There are many women who will do anything to become U.S. citizens including selling themselves for sex. Although Miasha did a great job on making people aware of the world of slave trade, more research on the culture of the people she wrote about would have made the story extraordinary. Nevertheless Miasha continues to be a breath of fresh air and steps up the game in the literary world.



All About the Writing Diva

Miasha has definitely changed the game in publishing. In just two short years, Miasha has had success in all four books that she has released and she is ready to drop the sequel to her Platinum selling debut, Secret Society titled Never Enough. Her marketing campaign has reached new heights for authors. She has not only tagged to streets with her images, she has created a virtual website that includes a reality show, "A Day in the Life of a Boss."
For a first time author, Miasha had proven that she has what it takes to grab the attention of not just her dedicated readers but also major magazines, making their top list and iMAG’s Go Getter of the year.
What makes her books part of the literary buzz is that although she has very interesting twists to her stories, she feels it’s her duty to make people aware of what takes place in a society which is rarely discussed.
As a mentor, she has created the Ask Miasha Foundation which was inspired by the addage, "closed mouths don’t get fed." It is an opportunity for people to ask her questions on life, love, publishing, education, and much much more. One of Miasha’s protégés is the 13 year old author Tweety Elitou who was in inspired by Miasha’s never give up and always shoots for the stars attitude.


We sat down with Miasha and talked to her about her latest endeavors and being considered The Literary Diva.

Miasha, it is always good to see you.
You as well.

Your name is everywhere and you are doing everything. Tell us about what you have been up to since Diary of a Mistress.
Well, Diary of a Mistress has made the Essence Best Sellers List.

Congrats.
Thank you. Mommy's Angels, went very well and of course the anthology Diamond Playgirls was recently released and now Sistah for Sale is on the shelves. I am gearing up for the release of Secret Society Two: Never Enough which is the follow up to Secret Society and I am also getting ready for the play, Secret Society. I have also played host to several events.

How does it feel to be on the Essence Best Sellers List?
It is great! I wanted that to be one of my achievements but I was not sure how that was going to happen. I knew that it was a lot of people's claim to fame, but I was not sure how to do it. I made the list at my own merit which made it feel even better.

How did you get in the anthology Diamond Playgirls.
Well, my mentor Karen E. Quinones Miller, the person who inspired me from the beginning came up with the idea. She had me in mind as one of the characters. I was glad to do it.

What has been the response so far?
The response has been very good. We were not able to do as much promotion as we wanted to because we were wrapped up in other promotions but we sold 19,000 copies in one month!

Tell us about Sistah for Sale.
The book is about an orphan who witnessed her father's murder, her mother's deportation, and she is being marketed in the sex trade. She thinks that the only way that she can get out of it is to buy her freedom. She becomes one of the highest paid girls because she learns many languages and cultures, but her owner is not ready to give her up.

How much of your books are related to politics?
Most of my books become political because of what is going on in our society. There is a lot going on that people are not even aware of and since I am an entertainer I see it as my duty to make readers aware of what is going on through my books.

Each of your books are written about different topics. Does it make it hard to market your book? Does it make it hard to keep the same readers or do you gain new ones each time?
I don't think that it makes it hard to keep my fans but it makes it possible to get new readers. The people that read my first book and absolutely loved it then go out and get the second one, etc. People have so far expressed that they love my work because I have proven that I can write and not about the same thing time and again. They can expect to be surprised.

People have said that you have changed the game in the publishing industry with your marketing and promoting. How do you feel about that?
I am glad that it is being noticed (lol). My husband (Rich) jokes and says that I am like the Jay-Z of the book industry, but this is really who I am. Rich and I both like flashy things and we have been blessed because we were not born with silver spoons in our mouths. We like to show our blessings and we wanted to bring it into the industry.

What do you feel about those that are following in your footsteps or "biters"?
I tend not to look at it that way. I think that it is good because it means that they liked it, I made a statement and I have created a trend. I see nothing wrong with being a trendsetter. I hope that what I put out works for others and they too share their blessings.

Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
I see retirement-- that doesn't mean that I won't write anymore because that is what I love to do, but I won't have to do it. I see production work in film, theatre or television. I want to take the book industry to different heights.

Tell us about the play Secret Society.
The play will actually be the release for Secret Society Two: Never Enough. The play will only be in Philly (so far). That gives people the opportunity to see the play live and then they will be able to take the book home and read what happens in part two.

Tell us about AskMiasha.com.
AskMiasha.com is my foundation that was created in order to get close to the youth that are in need of mentoring. I had previously set it up with my first website where people would email me their questions, and it has grown from that. We had our first event, "Get Fresh, Get Knowledge" in September, 2007 so that young people that were going to school could get a free haircut and school supplies. I am putting together an anthology for young women.

What is something that you would like to leave with people that are interested in publishing?
Well, so many people come to me and say that they want to write a book and I say, you have to write the book. Once it is written, then send it to as many people that you can get to read it, and be sure to build a buzz around that project. Know your angle with your book and be sure to promote the best way that you can and go the extra mile. You can't wait for the royalties to roll in, you have to sell the book. Be unique so that people will remember you.

Be sure to visit Miasha's website for all information on the Literary Diva...

Heather Elitou- Interviewer and Reviewer

No comments: