Pages

Thursday, August 28, 2008

Music's New Artist- Skip Tha Problem

Every artist has a story and the story of Skip Tha Problem is one worth listening too. New York's own, is looking to follow in the fotsteps of some of the greatest MC's to step out of his beloved city.
Skip was given the nickname at birth. He was born and raised in St. Croix U.S.V.I where he left to pursue rapping and now resides in the Bronx, NYC.
Skip started rapping in 2002, but he always been a big fan of rap music. He describes his music as a cross between East Coast rhymes with a southern twist. Some of his influences include Tupac, Master P, Biggie, and KRS One. Skip is the first rapper and is without a doubt the hottest rapper hailing from the beautiful island of St. Croix.
Backed by Carnegee Kingz, an independent union lead by former Interscope recording artist Brasco. Skip is expected to take the industry by storm with his highly anticipated first solo album, which is set to be released summer 2008. He says if he was not rapping he would be a salesman because he can talk fire out of hell and water from a whale!

We had the chance to chat it up with chance about his CD and what people can expect in the future.

Tell us about your CD.
A zillion bars of painis the name of my new mix tape! It is made for true hip hop heads. On this mixed tape i took back to essence when it was about what you say not who you are.

Do you surprise yourself with what comes out in your music?
Very much! Sometimes I shock myself when I write. I'm like, "yo, you heard what I said?" because that bar is sick! Also the feedback I get from my music from the crowds is awesome. For instance, I was at the club last week and the dj played my record, "Make it Thunder" and the crowd went bonkers I was real surprised they took to it like that when they never heard the song before.

How did your music career begin?
Growing up in the islands, we mostly listened to reggae and soca music, but I was always a big fan of hip hop music. So when I moved to New York, I would bug out with my friends freestyling on the block, but due to my lyrical content all my friends wanted me to start battling. So, we would go to other people blocks and I would battle the nicest rappers winning 90 percent of the time. That's when I decided to make music a career and I took it to the next level.

What was the reason for putting this CD together? Did you see a need?
At the time, I started recording tracks for "A Zillion Bars of Pain". I felt like hip hop needed a breath of fresh air, they needed a new face and that was me. Plus, the fans kept asking for something to listen to. There is also a need for good, real music.

What did you think when you completed your CD?
I thought that all my hard work payed off because I put together a mixtape that I was comfortable with and that people would like it.

How do you keep your music fresh?
I listen to everything from rock n roll to Gospel. I watch movies and most important I read a lot of books which infulence my music, also my everyday life experiences.

Which of your songs is your favorite?
I got a couple of favorites on this mixtape. But I would have to say "Fitted to Da Left" because I wrote and co-produce this record.

What is your goal for 2008-09?
Well, I have a new album coming in the Summer in 2009 and were planning a college tour for Spring 2009 to promote the album! I'm looking to do more performances so I will be in a city near you!! Hopefully I will have a major deal real soon too and of course I'm going to keep hitting ya'll with good music.

Peace Infinite Magazine and check me out on myspace.com/thaproblem26

No comments: