Pages

Thursday, July 12, 2007

Miasha the Writing Diva does it Again with her Third Novel Mommy's Angel



Don’t be fooled by what you see. Miasha is truly fabulous; a hair is never out of place and she is more than a pretty face. Although you may question whether she is approachable, believe us when we say that Miasha is one of the realest people that you will ever meet. She always expresses her appreciation to those that have shown her support. Yes, she is glamorous from head to toe, but shallow she is not. This sistah is always open to share her story of success and how she beat the odds, not allowing society to place a label on her life and condemning her to hardship which could have easily been her fate. Miasha is truly a realest and a go-getta that is proving she has what it takes to be at the top with her third book that has been released only a year after her first two books. Furthermore, she has become the face of Infinite Mag for our one year anniversary.

Her latest book Mommy’s Angel is yet another controversial book to hit the shelves. Mommy’s Angel is set in Brooklyn, NY and based on a young girl named Angel who rapidly becomes a woman after her mother’s breakdown over her son’s death which causes her to turn to drugs in order to ease her pain. Angel then realizes that it all up to her to take care of herself and younger siblings so she turns to a family friend for help. The friend then gives her a number that is suppose to be a fast way out of her poor condition but she then realizes that although the real world spins at a rate not felt by man, she is now caught in the gravity of a fast life that never slows down.

What makes this book so profound is that Miasha has loosely based it on aspects of her life growing up with parents that were addicted to drugs. We had the opportunity to chat with Miasha about her dynamic novel and how it affected her life and others.

Last year you dropped 2 books Secret Society and Dairy of a Mistress. What have you been up to this year?
My latest novel was just released titled, Mommy’s Angel. I’ve been busy promoting it and trying to run home the message in the book.

Tell us about you latest novel Mommy’s Angel.
Mommy’s Angel is about fifteen-year-old Angel’s struggle to survive after her older brother is killed and her mom becomes addicted to heroin. It’s a powerful story about addiction and what it does to the family. It’s a tragedy to the reader but triumph to the character.

Where did you get your inspiration for this book?
A lot of it derived from the emotions and mentality I had growing up with both of my parents addicted to drugs. I also found inspiration in other young people who I’ve come encounter with who suffer the same plight.

Why did you decide to write on the issues of drugs, the fast life, death and deceit?
Well, drug addiction is such a universal subject. It affects every household worldwide in one way or another. And with it being such a driving force in the production of self-destructive youth, I had to write about it. So many people are trying to figure out why our children are so violent and socially withdrawn. A lot of it has to do with what they’ve seen and been through having parents who were or still are addicts. As far as the fast life, death, and deceit, those all come with the territory.

This book is different then you’re other novels, why did you base it in NY this time?
I didn’t make a conscious decision to base it in NY. It was just something that naturally occurred. But, I like the fact that I was able to explore another city. It allowed me to tap into another realm of being a novelist, which is being a researcher.

You are very open about your past, how did this book affect you?
The book basically allowed me to vent. It allowed me to put it all out on the table without negatively affecting anyone. At the same time, it gave me the opportunity to shed light on the situations of youth who may be dealing with the issues that are raised in the book. Hopefully it will make people want to open their hearts and their minds to these children and do something to help. At the least, I hope it stops people from judging others without first asking themselves what is that person’s story.

How close does this book relate to your life?
Closely in that it depicts the emotional pain I’ve suffered over the years dealing with my parents’ addictions. It also depicts the lifestyle I lived at points in my life where we lacked food or where we really became desperate to survive.

Why was this book important to you? Did you see a need for this?
It was actually a book I wrote at a much younger age and I always wanted it to get to the masses. I think it began as a book that showed the truth behind addictions based on what I’ve seen and heard growing up, and then it wounded up being a mission statement. The need to get it out of my system was there from the beginning, but the need for the public to gain insight on this epidemic actually derived once the public read it. Basically, I did it for me at first, then it wounded up making people want to reach out and help. So all in all the book is important to me in that it may evoke change.

What issues do you think should be discussed or contemplated after reading this book?
The issues of parenting, mentoring, community involvement and rehabilitation programs for families as oppose to just for the addict. There needs to be resources, outlets, people, and places for youth to go to who find themselves in circumstances like Angel’s.

How do you think this book will help others?
I think it will open people’s hearts. I mean, addiction is seen everyday so people’s eyes are already open to it. But what goes on behind closed doors and how the addiction affects the children are what people don’t get to see out in the open. So this book will show that and thus, I think it will actually cause for people to want to do something for those children who they know are living this way.

You mentioned that people expected you to be like Angel; how did you beat the odds?
I, fortunately, had a strong, supportive, and close-knit family who stepped in when things got to their worst point. In the beginning it was my grandmother who introduced me to the belief in God and who also instilled values and morals in me that I would take with me throughout my life. Then, when she passed away, I had aunts and uncles who were positive influences on me and who showed me life outside of addiction. I think having those lifelines were what saved me.

What advice would you give to girls who may be like Angel?
First and foremost, develop a relationship with God. Believe and have faith even during the worst of times. God will pull you through the darkest of situations if only you believe. Second, I would say seek help from somebody, whether that be a relative, friend, community leader, school official, or religious figure. The fact of the matter is, you can’t survive this situation on your own. That is why Angel wounded up losing the battle. She tried to do it on her own. As a child, you are not equipped to take care of yourself and you shouldn’t have to. Seek help, and when you get it, appreciate it and accept it as if it were the only thing keeping you from experiencing a life of hardship, pain, and misery.

Did you surprise yourself with this novel?
I don’t think it was the novel I surprised myself with. I think it was the responses I’ve gotten from it that were surprising. People are calling this book better than my first two. Even Black Expressions called it my most captivating novel yet. And for it to be just a story that came straight from my heart, I am surprised to see just how powerful it came across. Pleasantly surprised, I might add.

What is some of the feedback that you have gotten on the book?
Aside from what I’ve mentioned above, I’ve been getting great feedback on Mommy’s Angel including a review from a woman in a feminist group where she said, “after completing the novel in one sitting combined with a stunning ending that left me staring, non-blinking at the ceiling, Mommy’s Angel will haunt your conversations and linger in your personal thoughts for days after the last page is turned.” Her review was so heart-felt it made me realize just how hard I hit with this book. I’m just in awe by what people are saying.

None of your books are the same how do you keep your style fresh?
I write because I like to expose people to new things, ideas, lifestyles, etc. So in order to fulfill my pleasures I have to present people with different stories. Otherwise, I’d get bored myself. I think it’s a natural obsession to open people’s eyes and give them something more to think about.

Tell us about the other projects you are working on and people you are working with?
Eight months from now, my new book, Sistah for Sale will hit stores followed by the highly anticipated sequel to my first book, Secret Society three months after that. As you can see, I am very excited about these upcoming novels. As well, I can’t wait for the premier of Secret Society the stage play, which is scheduled for early next year. In addition, I have an anthology with authors Daaimah S. Poole, T. Styles, and Deja King, titled The Diamond Playgirls scheduled to be released early next year, too. I’m starring in a movie called Burners, which is in post-production. And I’m establishing a clothing line called Senza Pari. I am extremely busy, but loving everything I’m doing. And I have a big year ahead of me so please keep a look out for me.

Where will people see you next?
I’m just about finished touring with two more stops, Harlem Book Fair on July 21st and The National Black Arts Festival in Atlanta on July 28th. I will be on a panel in New York on August 2nd among powerful women in the entertainment industry discussing how to succeed in the business. After that, you can catch me at the Black Film Festival in September and The Chicago Book Bazaar in October. Then it’ll be time to tour all over again for my new releases next year. So I’m sure you’ll see me somewhere.

What are the last few words you would like to leave with I-Mag readers?
I want you all to know how thankful I am to have your support. I write because it is my passion, but I am a success because of you. Thank you sincerely.


Heather Elitou-Reviewer


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Infinite Fam,

This is a great interview. Miasha deserves all of the blessings coming her way. She is a sweetie and true Literary Diva paving the way. Thank you for inviting me to the new issue. Love the entire issue. Keep doing the darn thing Neshee. Luv y'all. Glad you're back.

Anonymous said...

I agree with the comment of the person who left this message. Check out all of Miasha's books! They are all fly!

Anonymous said...

Miasha is such an awesome person and writer. She is an inspiration to all :)